Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I am a 23 year old college graduate I hate my job and have a bad case of Wanderlust I NEED to travel and soon

I have a degree in Film Production and have been working as a manager at PetSmart. I hate it there and i feel like i need an adventure


I am going on a trip next summer.


Should i


A. take a vacation to France for a week or two then go back to work.


B. Quit my job, backpack across Europe than when i get back decide what to do with my life/career


C.Quit my job, Travel around the world and try to get as many experiences as i can before i eventually make my way back and go to grad school or start a new career


or D. None of the above, just stay here and deal with it


I am a 23 year old college graduate I hate my job and have a bad case of Wanderlust I NEED to travel and soon
I agree with embi40. You are at a stage in your life where you can take more risks since you have less responsibilities. Enjoy the freedom and live your life with no regrets. In my opinion having great adventures now will make you more satisfied with settling into marriage and/or career later.





I spent 5 years in a job I disliked for a good portion of that time. I quit and went to work elsewhere for half the money and have never regretted it. (I did not stay at that salary level).





Have a great trip %26amp; best wishes on finding a job you love!I am a 23 year old college graduate I hate my job and have a bad case of Wanderlust I NEED to travel and soon
Hey there, I am also 23 and I'm finding it hard to decide what to do with my life too. You are lucky that you have the money to travel. I spent about two years jumping from one job to the next and am just beginning to experience REAL WORK. It think it's best that we explore while we are still young.

Report Abuse



I say A. Take a vacation this year and come back and start focusing on what you want to do. Backpacking across Europe sounds great but it takes money as does coming back and restarting your life. Quitting your job at the moment may not be the most realistic thing to do. You have a college degree try finding jobs in your field, maybe some that will allow you to travel and see new places.
Each one of your answers will have a different impact and different consequence on your life. Only you can decide what you are willing to deal with after you've made your decision but as someone twice your age I can tell you this- do something with your life you enjoy. Time goes by quickly and if you are wasting it in a job you hate and feel like the joy is being sucked out of your life then CHANGE IT! Making major changes in your life only gets more difficult as you get older. Imagine trying to make this decision when you have a mortgage and kids and bills galore. Whatever you decide to do, put your heart into it and get whatever you can out of the experience.





Good luck to you.





PS- if I were 23 again I'd go with C.
Hi. I know exactly what you are feeling. I've felt the same way myself and I have not quite hit 23 yet! As for my advice, I would have to go with E. None of the above. Like I said, I've felt almost the exact same way only managing a Harkins Theatres (the pay sucks). Then I found another way out. Now I am able to travel, work while traveling, have fun while traveling, and do as much traveling as I want because it is virtually free! I have included a website below. If you are truly looking for a way out of working your whole life away, then you might want to take a look. Follow the link and click on the big number ';2';. It is a quick 12-13 minute movie that goes through and tells you exactly how to do what I am doing (and loving it). After you have watched the movie please feel free to email me at the below address and we can discuss this futher.
Oh man I feel the same way and I'm only in my 2nd year. I was thinking of moving to Guam or something, to get away from all this ignorance in America. Could you move somewhere for a while and just enjoy the ocean? My choice would be C. It all depends on how important other things are in your life. If you would like to be wealthy later on, maybe dealing with it for a while would be the best thing to get your finances in order, then going for it. Thing is we only live once so if you are unhappy don't stay at it too long. Experience the world around you because it'll never happen again. Good luck with your decision and I wish you the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment