Friday, January 22, 2010

How to travel when I'm a green card holder that has a pending case for a name change from marriage?

I recently got married and filed an application to change my name on the green card from my maiden name to my married name. I have to travel to the Bahamas in 3 months, and I was wondering if there is anything I need to worry about. My Phillippines issued passport and my current green card still have my maiden names on them, and I have left and entered the US with no problem before. I called USCIS 5 times and each time I got a different answer.








2 of them said that I SHOULD have given up my green card when I got my fingerprints and picture taken. 2 said that I dont have to do this. The last one said that I am no longer the person I claim to be on my passport so I should change that. One told me to call customs, which I did, and I was told that as long as my passport and green card match Im fine. But my problem is that if i really did have to relinquish my current green card, whats my proof that I am inded a PR until I receive the new one 6 months from now?!?How to travel when I'm a green card holder that has a pending case for a name change from marriage?
You have a valid passport in your maiden name, correct?


You have a valid unexpired Green Card in your maiden name, correct?


Those documents are sufficient for travel.





If you do not have possession of your Green Card, you can sometimes (not always) get an I-551 stamp in your passport at your District Office to use as proof of status. Make an Infopass appointment from uscis.gov





Even after you change your name on your Green Card, note that your plane tickets MUST be in the name on your passport. If you have not changed your passport by that time, you will also need to carry a copy of your marriage certificate to show the name discrepancy between passport and GC.





Happy travels!How to travel when I'm a green card holder that has a pending case for a name change from marriage?
Your ss# and your state issued ID will be enough. Most employers do not even ask to see the PR card. You can get a new temp. stamp in your passport, like the one you got at your passport at your interview.
  • pores
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment